Brainstorming at Burning Man 2016

Contents for Brainstorming at Burning Man 2016

Our trip to Burning Man 2015 was so successful that we are expanding our presence for 2016 to a 30' PlayaDome and running 12 Brainsto...

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Challenges of Car-Based, Situation-Oriented Approach


In reviewing the cases described in Car2Car approach, there are challenges to the Car-Based, Situation-Oriented approach:

1. The Car2Car system apparently uses specific messages for each different situation. Thus it may not be prepared to deal with situations that don't have an existing message.

2. The Car2Car messages correspond to specific events observed and reported by Car2Car system objects – what about observations by other types of intelligent objects, such as smartphones? Why would a smartphone want to participate in the Car2Car system? It has quite different sensors from a car and needs to provide quite different services to its owner.

Years ago one of my friends was driving through an intersection when an entire truck wheel rolled in front of them totaling their car. It wasn’t visible to them until too late to avoid the collision because it was approaching fast down the side street. I hope there is a message for “unidentified object approaching”. And it also needs to convey motion information, along with size and mass, so they know whether to try to avoid it – perhaps it is just a plastic bag blowing in the wind.

One night years ago I was driving down a 4-lane divided highway in New Jersey, so of course it had strip malls on the side. There were no other vehicles on my side of the road, unusual for New Jersey, when I saw a deer appear in my headlights in the middle of my lane. No problem, I thought, I will just switch to the other lane, but then I saw it was a whole herd of deer blocking the entire road – the collision was inevitable, even though I braked as hard as I could as soon as I saw the deer. Would the Car2Car approach have warned me of that herd of deer with enough information to tell my what to do: change lanes, emergency braking, move to the shoulder, … ?

By contrast a 4-Dimension Global Map includes everything in the area, whether it is a system object or not, and whether it is recognized by the system or is an unidentified item, and information is gathered from a wide range of different electronic devices, including smartphones.

No comments:

Post a Comment