Brainstorming at Burning Man 2016

Contents for Brainstorming at Burning Man 2016

Our trip to Burning Man 2015 was so successful that we are expanding our presence for 2016 to a 30' PlayaDome and running 12 Brainsto...

Monday, February 18, 2013

How Far Can You Go on Three Tablespoons of Oil


Recently I heard a fascinating fact on the radio: a train can carry a one pound head of lettuce 3,000 miles from where it is grown in California to New Jersey on 3 tablespoons of oil.  I checked this with my chemist friend George, a real railroad buff, and he says that’s about right.  So what else can you do with 3 tablespoons of oil?

What if that train had to carry you along with the lettuce. Instead of 1 pound that’s 101-201 pounds, which means you would only get 15 – 30 miles, so you wouldn’t get out of California on that little oil.

What if the train had to take your car along too, now you’re up to 3,101 – 6,201 pounds which means you would only get ½ - 1 mile, so you wouldn’t even get out of the lettuce field.

If you go to the store in your car to pick up the 1 pound head of lettuce, 3 tablespoons of oil would only get you ¼ mile, so your car wouldn’t even get out of the grocery store parking lot where you bought the lettuce. By the way, my Chevy Volt would get me over a mile on that little oil. J

So we can do 12,000 times better than your automobile. Isn’t that enough to get you excited about looking at new transportation systems? It certainly convinced me to push ahead, and I hope you will join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment