Brainstorming at Burning Man 2016

Contents for Brainstorming at Burning Man 2016

Our trip to Burning Man 2015 was so successful that we are expanding our presence for 2016 to a 30' PlayaDome and running 12 Brainsto...

Monday, February 11, 2013

My Start on Transportation Systems Research


My thinking on Transportation Systems began in November 2007 when David, my good friend and long-time colleague, asked if I wanted to brainstorm with him on the future of transportation.   He was intrigued by electric vehicles, so we went to see the presentation of the Chevy Volt at the 2007 Auto Show in New York City: I just leased a 2013 Chevy Volt and get inordinate pleasure from making a trip around town without using any gasoline – so far our overall mileage is 172 mpg J.  We even presented statements at the California Air Resources Board in March 2008, but … (I won’t go there:  one of the rules of this blog is no whining or ranting – “that leads to the dark side”).

As usual David and I brainstormed for several weeks and discovered a lot of the “obvious” benefits of electric and even autonomous vehicles.  However, my conclusion at the time was that we could get a factor of 5 improvement in efficiency and other benefits, but it wasn’t enough to drive the major system changes needed, so I went back to my other endeavors.        
          
After I retired, I did a lot more brainstorming on the future of transportation, as well as other industries, the economy, and improving all our lives.  This produced a wealth of ideas, but no clear path to effect the changes.  I’m an engineer and I like to design large systems, but if I don’t see a practical way to accomplish them I move on to other pursuits.  As time went by various things triggered additional bursts of ideas that kept improving and extending my system designs.

Super Storm Sandy flooded me over the top, literally: I now see enough economic and other drivers to overcome the inertia of the present system and to make new systems achievable.  I will talk more about my experiences with Sandy in later posts. But first let’s look at some of my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment