Brainstorming at Burning Man 2016

Contents for Brainstorming at Burning Man 2016

Our trip to Burning Man 2015 was so successful that we are expanding our presence for 2016 to a 30' PlayaDome and running 12 Brainsto...

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Super Storm Sandy – Call to Action


We finished reconstruction on our home last weekend; and now that I’ve had time, and the emotional energy, to think about what happened … I’m angry. You might think I would be angry at the storm, or the disruption, or the cost … but no! What I’m angry about is that we are spending billions of dollars replacing obsolete “technology” with exactly the same obsolete technology that was destroyed in the flood: sheetrock, fiberglass insulation, hollow doors, appliances, electrical systems, …

Why?

Lack of planning. Lack of new products and systems. Lack of information. Lack of the public will to recognize that we have to change our ways.

In the past the debate has been about things like whether human action is causing global warming, or whether we are running out of oil, or whether we should be more ecology friendly, and such things.
Enough rhetoric and blame games: the real issue is that we can’t afford to keep replicating obsolete systems! For what we are spending to try to recover from Sandy we could have much better transportation, infrastructure, homes and businesses!

For example, one of the outcomes of Super Storm Sandy will be big increases in the cost of flood insurance, as there should be. That will make homes near the shore even more expensive, so pretty soon only the wealthy will be able to live here – what about the rest of us? My systems approach will allow regular people to live by the shore, and with excellent quality of life.

Despite the potential for another flood, my wife and I have decided that living by the river, and close enough to the shore to walk on the boardwalk and beach several times each week is worth it … of course the boardwalk in Long Branch was completely ripped up by Sandy, so we will have to wait a while.

Don’t think there will be another flood? We had a nor’easter a couple weeks back and our road had a foot of water – that doesn’t happen with a typical nor’easter: the world is changing.

Most people are afraid of change, but now we have to be even more afraid of NOT changing! Take a look at this Wired article if you don’t believe me.

Some of my most creative thinking happens when I’m angry, and I think that’s true in this case. It’s allowed me, or better it’s forced me, to stop procrastinating and start doing what I have been successful with in the past: designing new systems and convincing people to plan and implement them. BTW, people that know me will tell you that I don’t really care if my ideas are chosen, rather I want to see things improve no matter whose ideas they are.

I finally see how the driving forces, such as economics and personal happiness, can really get major change to happen; what was needed was a big enough “stick” to get everyone’s attention and to keep us focused long enough to accomplish change. I believe Super Storm Sandy is just that stick ... well Sandy plus the threat of the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment